Monday, October 03, 2005

Bike saddles and impotence

I though the whole link between bike riding and impotence had been debunked, but apparently not. The New York Times reports on three summary articles in September's Journal of Sexual Medicine which survey about a dozen recent studies on the subject. It turns out that "[t]he studies add to earlier evidence that traditional bicycle saddles, the kind with a narrow rear and pointy nose, play a role in sexual impotence." While the studies focused mostly on men, it is though that saddles could have a similar effect on women.

The scientists recommend not the "ergonomic" saddles with cutouts which may increase the pressure on sensitive nerves, but rather noseless saddles that force the rider's whole weight to rest on the sit bones.

My bike saddle is of the traditional sort, but not hard and narrow like a real road bike's. It's a bit wide and cushioned, and I'm not conscious of undue pressure on my perineum (nor of any untoward consequences). Curiously, though, when I haven't stretched, I will sometimes feel a slight thread of pain in my thigh and my buttock, but this pain goes away if I stop to stretch.

1 Comments:

At 10/25/2005 11:44:00 PM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

I have a number of bikes
each with a different style seat
perhaps I should try to narrow down which is best in which position
and streamline it so the effect is as minimal as it may be

numbness is a factor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home