Thursday, September 08, 2005

Crushed by an SUV

I had just left work and was biking home when I heard the sound of plastic hitting the pavement. With a sinking feeling, I pulled over and checked my derriere; sure enough, my taillight was missing. And there it was, lying in the middle of the traffic lane on Walnut Street. I walked over, anxious to pick it up before a car ran over it.

All of a sudden, an ominous dark SUV turned the corner. Oh, oh. As my dismay mounted, I saw its oversize wheel aiming straight for my defenseless little taillight. I watched helplessly as the crack heard up and down the streeet scattered debris every which way. The SUV continued on its course blissfully unaware of what had transpired. Or was it? Methought there was just a little swagger of triumph in the dastardly contraption's retreat from the scene of destruction.

Anguished, I picked up the remains of what was once my taillight, now nothing more than pitiful broken shards of plastic and glass. How had this come to pass? Was I to blame? Surely, I should have tried harder to put a nut on the bolt that was holding it in place. If it didn't fit, I should have used a longer bolt. It was all my fault! I had destroyed the taillight! Or not, maybe I could blame the bike store for not fastening it correctly or the streets of Boston for bumpy rides that would have shaken anything loose.

After a mournful ride home, a quick forensic analysis of the carcass revealed that the plastic fastening point had broken completely. It was not my fault at all, nor the bike store's (though in good conscience we both should have attached the light more securely). No, it was the streets of Boston, Newton, and Wellesley who had conspired to shake and rattle my poor little taillight until it broke. It was the potholes that could not be avoided and the bumps from layers and layers of pavement patches; in short, the callous disregard for proper biking conditions that condemmed my faithful taillight to an all-too-early death.

1 Comments:

At 9/20/2005 06:55:00 PM, Blogger gwadzilla said...

could have been worse....
it could have been you...
or your wallet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home