Monday, September 05, 2005

Cape Cod Century!

On my flight home from my Newfoundland vacation, I was really yearning to get back on the saddle and do some more bike touring. I was torn: perhaps a weekend tour the following week would be a good way to prolong the summer and ease me into the routine of the everyday--- or perhaps what I would really need was quiet time to catch up on my sleep, my blog, my pictures. Staying home and nesting sounded awfully appealing, but my freshly-cleaned bike sparkled its beckons at me....

What should drop like the gentle dews of heaven onto this barren landscape of indecision but an invitation to a birthday party on Cape Cod for my friend and colleague Matt? Problem solved! A trip, a destination, and a roof over my head.

I took the commuter rail to the end of the line at Kingston, MA, and biked from there on 3A, 3, the Sagamore Bridge (I really should have used the sidewalk), and 6 to get to the party at South Dennis. The party was fun: we hung out at the beach, and then went back to the house for barbecue, socializing, dancing, and star-gazing. Most of us crashed at the house that night.

Today, after grabbing a quick breakfast, we parted ways. My original plan was to return the way I came, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to avoid the Labor Day traffic heading back into town, Instead, I went against traffic: I took the Cape Cod Rail Trail from South Dennis all the way to Wellfleet, and then routes 6 and 6A to get into Provincetown, whence, after gobbling down a delicious lunch, I embarked on the Gay Express (as I call it) to bring me back home.

Indeed, without intending to, I biked the entire Cape in two days, which, including the distance biked in Boston, amounts to just over a century; that is in itself an accomplishment. It was also my first solo bike tour (ie. self-sustained overnighter) sans the boyfriend. And, to top everything off, I refreshed my bike tan. I hope it will stick around until Knox returns from Nova Scotia.

My house to South Station
Distance:4.05 mi
Pedal time:0:20:22
Average speed:13.09 mi/hr
Maximum speed:23.0 mi/hr

My house to South Dennis
Distance:54.92 mi
Pedal time:3:33:31
Average speed:15.89 mi/hr
Maximum speed:32.7 mi/hr

My house to S. Dennis, Provincetown, and then back home on the ferry
Distance:102.11 mi
Pedal time:6:54:50
Average speed:15.35 mi/hr
Maximum speed:32.7 mi/hr

3 Comments:

At 9/09/2005 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Knox Gardner said...

Vic,

I'm going to go with the old skool definition of a Century being 100 miles in a single go...

That said, if you are going to insist that you've done your first Century over two days, I'd definitely disagee. In Newfoundland, you'd done that at least twice: St. Bride's to La Manche, and then, during the trek up the Western coast.

Of course, I'd want to check the records, but I think even before that, you've done it while on our weekend in Connecticut and over Patriot's Day.

So you see, I think this maybe at least your fifth "Two-Day Century". I think you have it in you do a one day Century.

 
At 9/09/2005 08:35:00 PM, Blogger Victor Chudnovsky said...

Oh, party pooper! I never said it was my first two-day century!

But yes, my next big milestone will certainly be a one-day century.

 
At 9/11/2005 07:25:00 AM, Blogger Drew said...

Next time, I would definitely recommend the bridge's sidewalk - there are even signs posted that mandate walking the bicycle, but I'm not sure whether this has ever been enforced.

The Sagamore bridge used to be part of my daily bike commute...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home