Friday, August 05, 2005

Wind!

My bike and I both arrived fine in North Sydney yesterday. I had a two hour lay-over in Halifax (where customs inspected my tires for dirt!); unfortunately, that was not enough time to go into the city. I bought some travel fiction (An Innocent in Newfoundland by David McFadden) at the airport instead and read that over lunch. The plane from Halifax was a tiny 18-seater; the co-pilot was the flight attendant, and there were no lavatories on board.

I had to wait a while at the Sydney airport for a cab large enough to take my bike box. Boy, was it windy! It's going to be a blast(!) biking in Newfoundland... But the light! Oh, the light! In less than a day I have seen some truly spectacular effects of sunlight and shadows. It's a photographer's dream.

I finally met up with Knox at the North Star Inn, which overlooks the ferry terminal. We had a snack, a nap, and then I assembled my bike. Everything went smoothly, except for the front fender, which took some adjustment, and the rear brakes, which I only just now finished centering. We've pretty much sorted out what we're taking with us and what we're leaving in the hotel to pick up when we come back. As I type this, Knox is cleaning his bike; we will then go down"town" so he can do laundry, we'll get a second breakfast, and then we'll board the ferry to Argentia, Newfoundland.

(On a technical note, I hate Windows. I wanted to upload the pictures so I can post them on my blog while I'm out here if I have the time, but Windows won't read my camera as a normal external drive and fails when it tries to install the hardware it recognizes but doesn't have a driver for. Grrr... At any rate, I have more than enough memory to carry all my pictures home with me, which was the plan all along.)

2 Comments:

At 8/05/2005 11:39:00 PM, Blogger Web said...

Victor,

Just found your Newfoundland trip blog today.

I am working on a project to identify the great bike trails of the world. I'm not sure if your journey will qualify since it looks like it will be over highways but I'm placing a link on my blog to your reports and will track your progress.

Good luck and enjoy the Northern Lights for me.

Regards,
Larry Lagarde
RideTHISbike.com

 
At 8/13/2005 09:04:00 AM, Blogger Victor Chudnovsky said...

Hi Larry,

I'm glad you found my blog. It's true that my trip is mostly on paved roads traveled by motor vehicles, but certainly this adventure qualifies as one of the great bike journeys of the world. So far we've had a crazy mix of steep hills, flat terrain, mostly quiet roads, some heavy roads... but every day there has been something to utterly awe us. This is turning into an amazing vacation!

Victor

 

Post a Comment

<< Home