Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Scrubdown!

I just finished cleaning my bike, using the handy new bike repair stand I bought as soon as I came back from my Newfoundland trip. The stand makes it much easier to clean and adjust the bike; it was $100 well spent.

Using degreaser, a cassette scraper, brushes, and old socks, I was able to degrease the chainwheels, cassette, and chain down to their pristine silver sheen. I cleaned the wheels, buffed up the frame, lubed all the moving parts and cables, and voila! My bike shines once again.

I still have to put on the fenders and racks, which parts will need to be cleaned beforehand as well. By then, the replacement middle chainring to replace the one I mysteriously bent should have arrived, together with the replacement for the spoke protector I broke when my bungee cord got tangled up in the cassette. After I take the bike in to the shop to get these repairs done, I will be riding once again like the wind.

2 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 01:51:00 PM, Blogger Nathan said...

I'm confused:
- Cyclist buys repair stand.
- Cyclist totally cleans and lubes bike.
- Cyclist brings bike in to have seemingly minor parts replaced? What gives, man?!

I love your writing style, Vic. It would seem, however, that you are a homosexual which, as everyone knows, the good Lord frowns upon. Well, the enemy of my enemy is my friend and you, good sir, are my newest online blogger friend.

Seriously, I hope I didn't offend either your homosexual self or your devout Catholic self (in the unlikely event that you swing that way) with that little joke in the previous paragraph. I really do like your writing style and look forward to reading your posts.

Peace!

 
At 10/01/2005 12:05:00 AM, Blogger Victor Chudnovsky said...

Thanks, Nathan. I checked out your blog and liked the story of how you got into biking, and the references that made you come to that conclusion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home